Thursday, November 15, 2007

messages - submission nov 15

“Shhhhhh, someone’s going to hear us.”
“No one’s here. Come on.” The deserted old house is creaky from the wind. Dusty and cobwebby, several boards are rotted in the floor. “Come on.”
We make our way up the stairs. The narrow hall leads past three closed doors to a door at the end of the hall that’s ajar.
“You’re sure no one’s here.”
“Does it look like anyone’s been here? Don’t be such a scare baby.”
I grab onto your coat. We walk down the hall. Inside the door there are stairs leading to what is probably be the attic. It should be dark as pitch up there but light filters down.
“Hmmmm.”
“Do you think someone is up there?” I whisper.
“No, just come on.”
We begin to make our way up the stairs when suddenly there’s a skittering noise and we are running back down the stairwell and through the hall. Suddenly you stop.
“It was probably just a bird or a mouse or something. Let’s go again.”
“Are you crazy?”
“Oh come on, I don’t want to go alone. Come with me.” You take my hand and I look at your face to see if you understand the warmth spreading up my arm and into my heart.
“Ok.”
Again we make our way up the stairs. Cautiously, quietly, you before me ,but still holding my hand. At the top of the stairs you smile.
“Oh wow, look!” I come up behind you and see that the wind, and time have blown off half the roof and we are open to the blooming ornamental pear with its snow white petals falling all around us. We walk to the center of the room and there for the first time in the 13 years of my life, I am kissed.

No comments: