Friday, November 16, 2007

messages - submission nov 16


“Do you know how to drive this thing?”
“Don’t be ridiculous do you think I would have brought us all this way to be trapped? Hurry, they’ll be here any second!”
We climbed into the cockpit and Kevin immediately begins flipping switches, checking gauges and all that sort of thing. In a moment the engine roars to life.
“You better put your seatbelt on,” he shouted. I did as he instructed and we pulled out of the hangar and on to the single runaway. The flashing lights from the police cars could be seen just coming over the furthest hill. They were still about 8 miles away but there wasn’t a lot in between where we were and their location. With luck we would be long gone by the time they got to the little airstrip.
We had reached the end of the runaway. Kevin turned the plane increased the throttle and then took off towards freedom. Except for the runway lights the night was black as pitch. Suddenly we were part of that blackness, except for the little lights on either side of aircraft. Those lights made me feel like we were sailing two stars through the night.
“Where are we going?” I asked.
“Just relax and enjoy the ride. It will be a couple of hours.” My heart was still racing. I didn’t believe we would get away with it but for now I wasn’t going to worry about it. He seemed to have things well in hand. If it all worked out as planned we were $500,000 richer. Could it really be this simple? Did I suddenly have money, the prince and happily ever after?
Of course there was always the possibility that we just might get caught, but I wasn’t going to worry about that now.

No comments: