Wednesday, February 17, 2010

some of my favorites ....

i've been so busy getting ready to move .... but I thought I'd try to repost a few of my favorites .... perhaps with just a bit of reworking ...

Prompt from Twitterlit: "The price of wishes had officially gone up."

“Well how much then?” I asked.
The old man just shook his head. “Its this economy you know. Seems there is so little hope out there right now, everything is wishful thinking. We've never had such a high demand and of course without hope or dreams wishes are hard to come by. So because of the shortage and all, well you know, the price has practically tripled in the last two months alone.”
I sat down heavily in the wooden chair next to him. I was desperate, I needed this so badly, so much more than so many silly wishes people seemed to have these days like bigger houses and fancy cars. Adding up what I thought I had in my purse. I was fearful I wouldn’t have enough. It had been almost 14 years since I’d been to see him the last time and although I thought I had accounted for the increase in the economy I wasn’t sure I would come close to what I needed.
He looked down at me for a moment and then his face brightened. “I remember you. It’s been forever since you were here the last time. You were the one with the odd request.”
“Odd request?” I asked somewhat taken aback.
“Well you have to admit not everyone comes in here to buy one shining star.” He said. I laughed inspite of myself. He apparently did remember. He smiled at me again. “So, how did that work out for you anyway?”
“Well, worked out well, quite well.” I replied looking down at the shiny diamond wedding band. “But really I do need another wish and I was wondering if you took credit?”
"Oh no," He replied shaking his head, "I can’t take credit. People are always coming in here saying that want this or that or the other thing and as soon as they get it their changing their minds. Then they don’t want to pay because it wasn't what they were really wanting in the first place. So you can certainly understand we’re a cash only business, deary.” He pulled out his writing pad. “So what’ll it be this time?”
“Well, I know it sounds silly but I’d like another please.” I said rather quietly, the lump in my throat making it impossible to speak any louder.
“Another? Another what?”
“I’d like another shining star. I need it very desperately for the third of June.”He rubbed his chin, flipped the calendar open. “I don’t know, it will certainly cost you. Let me see,” He opened a cabinet behind him and took out an old grey binder. He made some notations with his pencil and ran the calculator, a few muttered comments and then a bit more figuring on the calculator. “It looks like it should be about $22,000 for it.”
“What?" I gasped. "But tt was only $120 last time.”
“Yes, well it was a long time ago, wasn’t it?” He looked deeply into my eyes, I knew he saw the desperation there. "what do you want this one for?”
The tears came rushing down now. “I need to remind him of the last time. I think he’s found another and I need to remind him of what we meant to each other. I need it to be that one shining star.”
“How much do you have deary?"
Wiping my hand across my cheek, “$820,” I said feeling foolish even mentioning it.
“Ok we’ll do it, $820, and a kiss on the old man’s cheek.” I handed him my cash and leaned over to give him the required peck on the cheek, I hugged his neck and then pulled back embarrassed at all the emotion.
“Thank you,” I whispered.
“Good luck my dear,” He said as I slipped out the door.

No comments: