Thursday, January 10, 2008

Running Away From Home


The prompt was "My younger self fled not toward but from... (it's a quote from one of Marge Piercy's poems)."


I can’t do this anymore,
I’m headed to the world beyond this door!
To something much grander
To something more fun.
I’m going to find my place in the sun!
I’m not holding back,
Not hedging my bets,
I’m going out to get all I can get!
I’m certain of one thing
I’m not certain at all.
But trying and failing
Beats not trying out all!
So here I come wide open spaces.
Look for me in glamorous places.
Taking life by the horns,
Living life to the full,
Daring to be what I dreamed I could be,
Until time catches up with me.
When I’m older and wiser
I’ll have smiles to hide.
Of times that I tried,
When I probably shouldn’t have,
Gone down more dangerous paths.
Then I would have.
Times that I skipped responsibilities,
To live wishes and dreams and possibilities.

No comments: