Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Its What I Do In The Middle of the Night


With the nightlight guiding me I sneak across my bedroom to the hall. I run on tiptoe down the hall to the stairs and carefully make my way downstairs. I take extra care not to step on the third step down nor on the one just before the last as they will creak and moan.
I sneak through the living room and into the kitchen where I open the refrigerator door. I take an apple for myself. I dash across the kitchen and take out two slices of bread. Unlatching the kitchen door, I make my way across the porch by moonlight, being careful not to trip on Daddy’s boots. I jump down three steps and across the yard, out the back gate and on to the dock.
I sit with my feet dangling above the water. I set my apple down and tear the bread into little tiny pieces and cast them on the water. Then I pick up my apple and begin to eat it by the light of the moon and the stars. I watch as the fish nibble on the bread making ripples that grow larger and larger reflecting sparkles of starlight and moonlight everywhere.
I wonder if somewhere high above me the ripples can be seen by the stars and the moon. As the night breeze tousles my hair, I lie back on the dock staring up at the night sky and finish my apple. I toss the core into the lake; make my way back up the dock and through the gate. I run across the yard and up the porch. Locking the door behind me, I make my way back across the living room and up the stairs, down the hall and into my bed to dream of water and stars and moonlight.

No comments: