Tuesday, June 19, 2007

the first time

"I can't do this," she said.

"Yes you can," he replied. His voice steady and calm.

"No, I can't! I don't want to."

"Shhhh, yes you do. It was your idea." He reasoned with her.

"I've changed my mind." Her voice beginning to quiver a little. "I can't, I just can't."

"Sweetheart, if you really don't want to you don't have to. We'll take this one step at a time. Okay?" He rubbed her arm gently and nodded to reassure her.

"Okay." She said in a very quiet voice as she took a gulp of air. It was clear that tears were not very far away. "Its just because its my first time."

"I know honey. It will be great you'll see."

"But what if I can't..." her voice trailed off.

"You can, we'll just start slow ok? Trust me. I'm right here. I'm not going to let you get hurt I love you." He smiled down at her. "Ready?"

She nodded her head and held on tight. Slowly at first, then faster, and faster.

"Look at me! Don't let go."

He was right there beside her running and running and then she was doing it all by herself pedalling faster. He stayed close. The bike began to tilt and in an instant he was back beside her. Catching her before she fell.

"See, I knew you could do it." He smiled at her and kissed her forehead and tried to catch his breath.

"That was so cool! Let's do it again!" She giggled. "I told you I was big enough to ride a two wheeler!"


No comments: